Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
This South Carolina style BBQ sandwich will slap your taste buds around! You may wish to cut the vinegar down to as much as half depending on your personal taste, but any way you mix it this sauce is much more on the tangy side as opposed to the sweeter Kansas City style.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup no-salt-added ketchup, such as Heinz
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 3 Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. molasses
- 2 tsp. Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 12 oz. seitan, cut into thin strips
- 4 hamburger-style buns
- 12 pickle chips, optional
- 1 cup prepared coleslaw, optional
- Bring vinegar, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, molasses, hot sauce, black pepper, and salt to a simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes.
- Transfer 1 cup sauce to bowl, and set aside.
- Add seitan to saucepan, and cook 10 minutes.
- Divide among buns, serve with pickle chips, coleslaw, and extra sauce, if using.