Yield: 4 servings, 1 eight-inch cake
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
Mousse Base Edit
Mousse, Cake Assembly, and Glaze Edit
- ⅔ cup cherry jam
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (clear cherry brandy)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon spiced Chai tea leaves or lapsang souchong smoked black tea leaves (from 1 tea bag)
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened) or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Buy chocolate
For cake Edit
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Place 8x2-inch heart-shaped cake ring on sheet of foil.
- Wrap foil up sides of ring.
- Brush foil and inside of ring with 1 tablespoon butter; dust with flour.
- Place on baking sheet.
- You could also use a buttered and floured 8-inch round cake pan with 2-inch-high sides.
- Sift flour, cocoa, and salt into medium bowl.
- Combine eggs and sugar in large metal bowl.
- Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch water).
- Whisk until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from over water.
- Using electric mixer, beat mixture until thick and billowy and heavy ribbon falls when beaters are lifted, about 5 minutes.
- Sift half of dry ingredients over; fold in gently.
- Repeat with remaining dry ingredients.
- Transfer ¼ cup batter to small bowl; fold in 3 tablespoons butter.
- Gently fold butter mixture into batter; do not overmix or batter will deflate.
- Transfer batter to ring.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer cake with foil to rack; cool completely (can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and store at room temperature)
mousse base Edit
- Bring whipping cream and cinnamon sticks just to simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- Remove from heat; let steep 1 hour at room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate cinnamon cream overnight.
- For mousse, cake assembly, and glaze: blend jam and kirsch in small bowl.
- Cut around sides of cake; lift off ring.
- Using metal spatula, loosen cake from foil and transfer to rack.
- Using serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in half.
- Using tart pan bottom, transfer top cake layer to work surface; turn cut side up.
- Spread half of jam on cut side of both cake layers.
- Strain cinnamon cream into large bowl; beat until soft peaks form.
- Stir finely chopped chocolate in heavy small saucepan over low heat until smooth.
- Quickly fold warm chocolate into whipped cream (chocolate must be warm to blend smoothly).
- Immediately drop mousse by dollops over bottom cake layer; spread to within ¾ inch of edge.
- Gently press second layer, jam side down, atop mousse.
- Smooth sides of cake with offset spatula.
- Chill assembled cake on rack while preparing glaze.
- Bring cream, ¼ cup water, corn syrup, and tea to boil in small saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; steep 5 minutes.
- Strain into another small saucepan; return to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add coarsely chopped chocolate; whisk until smooth.
- Cool glaze until thickened, but still pourable, about 30 minutes.
- Place rack with cake over baking sheet.
- Slowly pour glaze over cake to cover, using spatula if necessary to spread evenly.
- Chill until glaze is firm, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Place cake on platter and serve.