Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Yields: about 8 servings
A healthy alternative, most people can't even tell it's not ground beef. Using one of your favorite hot sauces, this recipe can be tailored to those you're serving - from a mild & flavorful chili to a real barn-burner!
—If you are making this recipe for a vegan, please note that not all "vegetarian ground beef crumbles" are suitable for vegans. Many of them contain egg, or milk derivatives--vegans do not consume these items.
- 1 (12 ounce) package vegetarian burger crumbles (soy)
- 3 (15.25 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (your favorite)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hot water
- In a slow cooker combine soy crumbles, beans, onion, celery, bell peppers, bay leaves, chili powder, molasses, bouillon, cilantro, hot sauce, salt, pepper and 1 cup water. Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Dissolve flour in 1 cup hot water. Stir into chili and cook 1 more hour.