- Serves: 4
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
- Costs: Cheap as chips
The mash and sauce can be prepared up to a day in advance. Fold in the whisked egg whites just before cooking.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g tub ready-made white sauce
- 250g (8oz) cooked Brussels sprouts
- 2 eggs, separated
- 100g (3½oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 x 150ml (¼ pint) ramekin dishes, buttered
- Put the potatoes in a pan, cover with salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 mins until tender.
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Put the white sauce and sprouts in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the egg yolks.
- Drain and mash the potatoes, and stir in the sprout sauce.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl to stiff-peak stage. Fold into the mash mixture. Spoon into the ramekin dishes and sprinkle with cheese. Put dishes on a baking tray and bake for 25 mins.
By Kate Moseley
Nutritional information per portionEdit
- Calories 521(kcal)
- Fat 25.0g
- Saturates 11.0g
This nutritional information is only a guide and is based on 2,000 calories per day. For more information on eating a healthy diet, please visit the Food Standards Agency website.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.