- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. ground red chili pepper
- 1 tsp. crushed oregano or thyme
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. canola (or other) oil
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and minced (wear gloves)
- ½ - ¾ cup beer
- Cut chicken crosswise into ⅜-inch-wide strips; place in shallow glass dish.
- Combine all ingredients and stir until dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour mixture over chicken; toss to coat well. Cover; marinate in refrigerator at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, stirring mixture occasionally.
- Soak 8 (10- to 12-inch) skewers 20 minutes in cold water to prevent them from burning; drain. Prepare grill for direct cooking.
- Drain chicken; reserve marinade. Weave 3 to 4 chicken strips accordion-style onto each skewer. Brush chicken with reserved marinade. Discard remaining marinade.
- Place skewers on grid. Grill skewers on uncovered grill over medium-hot coals 6 to 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning halfway through grilling time.